We’ve already discussed the reasons the BMI index is stupid and racist. In light of our earlier post, here is a top 10 list of reasons the BMI index is bogus.
- The person who dreamed up the BMI said explicitly that it could not and should not be used to indicate the level of fatness in an individual.
- It is scientifically nonsensical.
- It is physiologically wrong.
- It gets the logic wrong.
- It’s bad statistics.
- It is lying by scientific authority.
- It suggests there are distinct categories of underweight, ideal, overweight and obese, with sharp boundaries that hinge on a decimal place.
- It makes the more cynical members of society suspect that the medical insurance industry lobbies for the continued use of the BMI to keep their profits high.
- Continued reliance on the BMI means doctors don’t feel the need to use one of the more scientifically sound methods that are available to measure obesity levels.
- It embarrasses the U.S.
Everything on this list has extra interesting details, but in order to see them you will need to check out the source.