The Hoover Digest has compiled a top 10 list of reasons the health care system in America is actually in pretty good shape and cautions against government intervention. There are many misconceptions and half rumors being spread around the internet about the state of healthcare in the United States.
Here is a summary version of the list. Go to the Hoover Digest to read all the details on each item.
- Americans have better survival rates than Europeans for common cancers.
- Americans have lower cancer mortality rates than Canadians.
- Americans have better access to treatment for chronic diseases than patients in other developed countries.
- Americans have better access to preventive cancer screening than Canadians.
- Lower-income Americans are in better health than comparable Canadians.
- Americans spend less time waiting for care than patients in Canada and the United Kingdom.
- People in countries with more government control of health care are highly dissatisfied and believe reform is needed.
- Americans are more satisfied with the care they receive than Canadians.
- Americans have better access to important new technologies such as medical imaging than do patients in Canada or Britain.
- Americans are responsible for the vast majority of all health care innovations.
Some members of Congress and President Obama are eager to pass some kind of healthcare reform legislation which will expand the role of government. The question is, are they looking for a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist?